- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup lowfat (1%) milk or unsweetened nondairy beverage
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, pumpkin purée and egg. Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and stir until evenly mixed. Stir in quinoa. Set batter aside to rest for 10 minutes.
Oil a cast-iron griddle or large nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat until hot. Ladle a heaping 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle and cook about 5 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Flip and cook 3 to 4 minutes longer, or until pancakes are cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter and serve warm.
As we were baking we wanted our pancakes to be extra pumpkin-y so don’t be afraid to go hard in the spice.