Yesterday my favorite day of the year arrived and naturally my mind has been overflowing with thoughts of carved out pumpkins and haunted houses. Instead of trapping my spooky energy I thought – “why not compile a blog post that features 31 things to do this October in San Antonio?!” And, dear friends, that is exactly what I did.
1. Behind the Screen: Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas at the McNay
As I’ve been writing the lede I’ve been jamming out to the Nightmare Before Christmas Special Edition soundtrack on Spotify. Actually, Jack Skellington sings through my speakers twelve months out of the year which is why when I saw the McNay would be featuring a TNBC exhibit – I texted my significant other ASAP to make a date.
Check out the character puppets and set pieces from the infamous movie at the McNay until the end of the year.
2. Look into your shadows together with Mobile Om
In celebration of Halloween Eve, Mobile Om will be turning off the lights and turning awareness inward to explore the shadows within. Let yourself go to a soulful soundtrack and find comfort in darkness and life in the shadows. I can’t think of anything more romantic than searching in the dark spaces of each others hearts. Sign up by clicking here.
3. Give your tongues a taste of the harvest season at the Granary ‘Cue & Brew
Twenty Something SA Tip: Pair your barbecue with a Beer Flight to complete the experience. And if you are a fan of coffee, try their Coffee IPA.
4. Escape from a zombie-infested room at Extreme Escape
You and your team are trying to survive the zombie apocalypse. There are rumors of a doctor that may have an antidote that could stop the infection and save humanity, but can you get to it in time?
5. Tame your PSL cravings with the pumpkin cheesecake at Cuppencake
Pair the decadent fall dessert with a Mexican hot chocolate and you two are headed for a night of pure pleasure.
6. Attend a Psychic Faire at Victoria’s Black Swan Inn
Built in 1867, Victoria’s Black Swan Inn offers a hauntingly romantic location for you and your lover.
7. Buy each other pumpkin spice churros at Go Honchos
Ever since we spotted the bright yellow churro truck on Babcock Road, we’ve been taming our churro craving every chance we get. Stop by this month and bite into a #pumpkinspicechurro!
8. Spend the night under the Moonlight in the Garden of Good & Evil at the Botanical Gardens
On October 21st roam the night with garden fairies, trolls and superheroes and enjoy Halloween festivities including a costume contest.
9. Brew potions and cast curses at Wizard U.
The Aztec Theatre is being transformed in a school for wizards on October 21st. At Wizard U., you and your partner will – brew potions together, learn the terrible fortunes that await them, compete in games like Wizards’ Pong, learn how to cast curses, drink specialty cocktails, and more, all while watching a hilarious on-stage show that celebrates the best that magic has to offer. Interested in attending the magical university? Tickets are $15 and you can purchase them here.
10. Treat yo’self to pan de muerto at La Panadería
Have you been to the new La Panadería in central downtown? It’s gorgeous! Make a date this month to enjoy pan de muerto – a traditional sweet bread that is eaten during Día de los Muertos.
11. View planets, moons and constellations at Government Canyon
Spend a night with the moon while learning the basics of telescope operation on October 7th at Government Canyon State Natural Area.
12. Experience the beauty of a Light Fest
Ignite personalized sky lanterns with Tiki torches and let them take flight. Talk about romantic. Find out more here.
13. Hold each other close or run ahead of the other at the 13th Floor San Antonio
We recommend going on Friday the 13th. 😉
14. Attend the Alamo City Comic Con: Halloween Edition
The Alamodome will be overtaken by all things terrifying on October 27th through the 29th.
15. Celebrate all things Tim Burton at the 6th Annual Burton Ball
Enjoy spooky dance music, creepy décor, film projections, food trucks, live Burton themed art, a costume contest for the best Burton inspired looks of the night and more on October 7th at the Korova.
16. Hold hands through a cemetery tour with Sister’s Grimm
On October 13th + 14th, walk amongst tombstones and listen to stories during the Voices From the Grave Cemetery Tour.
17. Indulge in fall flavors at Lick
Starting October 5th, Lick at Pearl will release new fall flavors along with some old favorites. We’re most excited for the Caramel Apple Pie – a symphony of warm spices and candied Texas apples in rich dark cake dance together in a Good Flow Honey caramel ice cream, Hazel’s Pumpkin Pie – roasted locally grown pie pumpkins are enhanced by clove, a bit of cinnamon, and freshly ground nutmeg, and for our vegan readers Coconut Pecan Coffee Cake – bites of sweet vegan coconut pecan cake are folded into our Caffe Del Fuego-spiked coconut ice cream.
18. Etch your favorite slasher film villain onto a beer mug with the Crafthouse
Head to the Freetail Tasting Room on Friday the 13th for a glass etching workshop where you will learn how to etch your own slasher movie themed beer mug adorned with either Jason Vorhees or Michael Myers. Save your spot by clicking here.
19. Find out if you’re a saint or sinner at the Saints, Sinners, and Dirty Demons Halloween Party
So, which one are you?
20. Walk through five haunted houses at Sea World’s Howl-O-Scream
Sea World isn’t just for families in October. Along with five haunted houses (Prey! was our favorite), the park grounds are overflowing with sexy (maybe, too sexy?) nurses and shot syringes.
21. Participate in the Culinaria Hallowine Run
Participate in the 5K or 10K Hallowine Run at the Shops at La Cantera then celebrate the spirit of Halloween with spooky drinks and cuisine. To register, click here.
22. Dine together at the 5th Annual Hot Wells Harvest Feast
Enjoy a night of natural decor, history, entertainment and the best wine and the food prepared by the most talented chefs in the city.
23. Have a milkshake date with Honey Suckle Tea Time
The number one milkshake makers around – Honey Suckle Tea Time – will be having a Harry Potter themed pop-up at West Elm on October 7th from 2 to 4 p.m.!
24. Take a Halloween Tour of Mummies, Monsters and Spirits, Oh My!
The San Antonio Art Museum will feature a special All Hallows’ Eve tour with visitations to all the mummies, monsters, and spirits haunting our galleries. The event is free and you can find out more information here.
25. Dine with spirits at the haunted Menger Hotel
RSVP to the Sisters Grimm’s annual All Hallow’s Eve and Ghost Tour and kick off the night with a 3-course dinner inside the Menger Hotel followed by a tour inside a haunted suite in the hotel and a 90-minute Ghost Walk of downtown San Antonio.
26. Spice things up with salsa lessons at Jazz, TX
The Pearl tenant knows how to make sparks fly with a salsa lessons followed by a freestyle salsa dance with live music.
27. Have a day date at the 12th Annual San Antonio Beer Festival
Dignowity Park hosts the largest Beer Festival in San Antonio with 400+ premium and craft beers from 125+ breweries. Purchase tickets here.
28. See if you can survive Fright by Night at Fiesta Texas
Six haunted houses, numerous scare zones and CARNEVIL 3D – a 3D fun house with clowns.
29. Jam out at Mala Luna on October 29th and 30th
Nothing screams sexy date night like getting sweaty dancing to Lil Wayne and Wiz Khalifa, right?
30. Sketch monsters from your favorite movies together
Make a date on October 5th at Brick at Blue Star for a spooky figure drawing class. Reserve your spot here.
31. Spend a night in with Lily’s Cookies + horror movies
This may be our favorite date of all.
Happy October, San Antonio!